Thursday, August 28, 2008

Week 1 readings

Post one unique comment, question, or observation to the class blog relating to the three readings (see the assignments page). If your comment relates to a specific article, be sure to identify it.

16 comments:

Shyaam Karra said...

I read "Technology is No Panacea." I think Palmquist makes a good point when he claims that we need to understand the rapid pace of technological change in order to make progress in our applications of such innovations in schools. What are the worrisome "implanted biochips" that he mentions?

Emily Tombes Figley said...

I think that Palmquist in "Technology is No Panacea" very briefly addresses an issue that needs to be paid much more attention. There is so much emphasis today on the importance of integrating technology into the classroom that many people skip over the fact that a large portion of students in this country (most often those from already disadvantaged backgrounds) come to the classroom with little to no understanding of technology. What needs to be addressed more often is giving the schools that those children attend enough resources to provide technological access and education.

Emily W said...

In "How People Learn" the comment about how "The Voyage of the Mimi" was one of the first attempts to use video and computer technology made me feel pretty old because I used that in my 4th grade class! But as the article says just before that, using the computer/video technology really made me remember the activities and if I mention Voyage of the Mimi to anyone I went to school with then they always remember. I wonder how much of an impression a more recent video series like the Jasper Woodbury Problem Solving one would make on children who are so used to this type of technology.

Allyson Strom said...

I read "Technology is No Panacea." I think that Mike Palmquist makes a good point when he says that technology is more than a tool. He comments that technology has changed the world we live in and due to such things as spam, e-commerce, and identity theft, and that change is not always for the better. I agree with Palmquist that we must study technology carefully in order to use it as wisely as we can.

Alzbeta and Jonathan said...

RE: Technology Is No Panacea

He says, "Today, an 'essay' can include images, audio, and video as easily as written words, and it can be turned in to a teacher and also published on the Web, in a Blog, or as an e-mail attachment."

Well, that's nice. But, that's a multimedia event, not an essay.

Technology is a tool and can be useful, but I think there's a tendency to get too fired up about technology and use it when doing things the old fashioned way would be faster and better (if we weren't in such a hurry toward progress that we took the time to think about it).

Kirsten Perry said...

While reading "How People Learn," I was impressed with the variety of hands-on projects technology has provided students. When I was in high school, especially science class, I probably would have benefited from such tools. It seems that time and time again, interaction with the world in a more well-rounded approach seems to "win" over traditional lecture/notes styles. But as jonatha springer already touched on, as educators we have to be careful of getting too hyped about technology, lest it be a hindrance.

Kelly Neill said...

In "How People Learn," the author comments about interactive classrooms helping children learn better and having them actual experience learning rather than just watching a video or reading in a book; however, in my elementary classes we had lots of learning experiences such as the ones that were described in the chapter, but we did not have the technological supports that there are now. I think technology is helpful for spreading ideas about how to get students really involved in their learning, but it is not as necessary as the chapter makes it seem.

Hannah Hof said...

In “Technology to Support Learning,” the author says, “In general, technology-based tools can enhance student performance when they are integrated into the curriculum and used in accordance with knowledge about learning. But the mere existence of these tools in the classroom provides no guarantee that student learning will improve; they have to be part of a coherent educational approach.” I agree with this statement and in working with elementary students from lower socioeconomic classes I have seen the excitement that goes along with using computers to aid in teaching. We, as future teachers, need to find the most effective ways in which to integrate technology into our classrooms in order to enhance our students’ performances. It is a difficult task and often I feel that in certain situations we can learn information better with hands on activities rather than interactive computer programs.

Paige said...

After reading Mike Palmquist's "Technology is no panacea...," I'd agree with Shyaam's comment. We, as educators, do need to understand the ever-growing use of technology in our society, but technology in our classrooms should not overshadow the lessons themselves or the individual needs of each student. Although Palmquist gives us brief insight into a very relevant issue, he does not address the hurdles that disadvantaged and special needs students will face with this growing use of technology. Will there be specialized programs for students with disabilities? Will there be an increased availability of computers and other forms of technology available to those students who don't have access otherwise?

Elizabeth Fritts said...

I read "Technology to Support Learning" from "How People Learn" and I thought it made an excellent point of the wonderful potential technology has to be a tool in the classroom, while still acknowledging the importance of using it correctly. Technology allows teachers to have the most up-to-date information and connect lessons to the "real world" which is always essential to makes lessons relevant. While this is wonderful, technology can only fulfill its purpose if used by those who are properly trained and I think it is essential that money be spent not only on providing technology, but also teaching teachers how to fully utilize it to best help their students.

Christine Gallagher said...

Even after reading "Technology to Support Learning," I still think we can easily over-emphasize technology at the expense of classical learning. As a simple example, using computers at the expense of developing good penmanship. Would it be wise to wait until children are older before introducing high-tech material that distracts them?

Justin Nam said...

I read TPCK - Technological Pedagogical Content Knowledge. After reading it, I began to think there are something more to it to become a successful teacher in this time of flourishing technology and information. I used to think that teachers just need to have the good level of knowledge in their area of study and the skill to convey those knowledge, but I just realized that knowing and being friendly with technology is definitely a plus. Also from looking at the diagram, I thought that having a balance among content, pedagogy, and technology is necessary to become a successful teacher.

Katie Darraugh said...

"Technology is Panacea" states that it might be possible to replace teachers with computers and technology. In one sense this is true with the emergence of online degrees and classes. However, I do not believe that teachers can base their opinions on technology purely based on the fact that they were laid off to make way for computers. Teachers need to face the fact that technology is a huge part of our society for good or for bad. I don't believe that teachers will ever be replaced all together be technology. Technology cannot do what teachers can, which is promote childhood growth and simply give explanations in ten different ways until the child understands then. That is something a computer will never be able to accomplish.

Greg Barker said...

After reading chapter 9 in "How People Learn," I think the way that technology can be used in the classroom that most excites me is the networking described in the first part of the chapter. While, the idea of students working alongside professional scientists is great, I am much more interested in how that technology can be used to connect classes around the world. How much easier would it be for students in a Spanish class to practice what they have learned if they had a partner class in Chile that was learning English? The only problem I have with technology in the classroom is it's unequal distribution. It tends to be the wealthier school systems that get more technology, while the poorer school systems are left with fewer resources. Although, I guess that's more of a complaint against the education system as a whole rather than technology.

Caroline said...

When reading Chapter 9(Technology to Support Learning), I learned the importance of technology connecting classrooms to the community. I feel this is an important aspect of educational technology that is often forgotten. Some parents are not involved within the school and need an alternative way to receive information about grading, administration, and athletics. Even by schools providing a calender on their website helps parents stay involved in school activities and their child's education. I have been involved with schools that provide a website for each grade in the school which allows parents to help their child with outside work in the home. I feel this aspect of technology is often ignored as schools are more concerned about the latest technology instead of using what it has to its advantage.

Joseph Jungho Kim said...

I read about Technological Pedagogical Content Knowledge (TPCK). Since TPCK is a new idea and it has not been around for long, it is very susceptible to critique and one critique it might get is that a teacher who is capable of negotiating the relationships between technology, pedagogy, and content knowledge is not necessarily more expertise than just an expert in content, technology, and pedagogy. I think a teacher can have a forte in just one area of the TPCK and still be just as expertise as a teacher know is capable of all three.